North Campus

(1 of 3 pages) Next Page | Previous Page

-Click image to enlarge-
Aerial View of North Campus
Due to financial set-backs, construction of the Merrick building was halted in mid-1926. To open on time, the founders turned to a partially completed hotel, the Anastasia (foreground) and in 1939 to its sister building across LeJeune Road, the San Sebastian (upper center). The University operated from these buildings until the Memorial classroom building was completed in 1946. (photo taken in 1935)

-Click image to enlarge-
Anastasia Building - Postcard
The Anastasia Building served as the home for administrative offices and classrooms of the University of Miami through the late 1960's. After the devastating hurricane of 1926 passed over South Florida, University officials knew that they would never be able to finish the Merrick Building and open on time. They then set their sites on the Anastasia Building, which was originally planned as a hotel but construction had been halted for lack of funds. The University leased the building and quickly installed room dividers to make the building function as a school. The building thus became known as the "Cardboard College."

-Click image to enlarge-
Anastasia Building and Practice Courts
The Anastasia Building, shown here from the Anastasia Avenue side, was the building that the University occupied when they opened their doors in 1926. Though the building was to be temporary quarters while the Main Campus could be developed, hard financial times delayed the move for over 20 years. The founders of the University had planned from the beginning that the school would have a first-rate intercollegiate sports program. In addition to football, the University also sported tennis and basketball programs. This picture shows some of the practice areas across the street from the Anastasia Building.

-Click image to enlarge-
Anastasia Building Library Room
The library room at the in the Anastasia Building, called the North Campus, was one of the few places to study in the early 1940s. Until 1938 there was no regular book or periodicals allocation in the budget. Most of the library books were gifts.

-Click image to enlarge-
Anastasia Building, 1942
Pictured is a view of the Anastasia Building after the addition of the coffin tower, the uppermost cap of the rounded section of the building. This rotunda was first used by the RAF cadets for classes in air navigation. A camera mounted in the ceiling directed images onto the floor. The cadets, seated a floor above, watched the simulated flights over European targets. The Drama Department took over the area in 1946 for a ring theater. To form the theater, a parachute was hung from the ceiling and seats were added around the stage. The concept of a theater in the round was transferred to the new campus when the Ring Theater was built in 1951.

-Click image to enlarge-
Cadets Celebrate Graduation
Navigation cadets with diplomas celebrate in front of the San Sebastian Building during graduation ceremonies in 1941.

-Click image to enlarge-
Campus Scene, 1940s
This photograph catches a snacker using the vending machines in the interior of the Anastasia Building, North Campus. The building was the first occupied by the school in 1926 and was finally purchased by the University in 1936. It was abandoned in 1967 and demolished. Now standing near the site is the Coral Gables Youth Center.

-Click image to enlarge-
Coeds Gather Under Umbrellas, 1930s
Women students gather on the patio of the Anastasia Building. Both the Anastasia Building and the San Sebastian Building were constructed as triangles around a central courtyard. Many school functions were held these enclosed venues.

Next Page | Previous Page