Campus Buildings

(1 of 5 pages) Next Page | Previous Page

-Click image to enlarge-
Anastasia Building - Postcard
The Anastasia Building served as the home for administrative offices and classrooms of the University of Miami through the late 1960's. After the devastating hurricane of 1926 passed over South Florida, University officials knew that they would never be able to finish the Merrick Building and open on time. They then set their sites on the Anastasia Building, which was originally planned as a hotel but construction had been halted for lack of funds. The University leased the building and quickly installed room dividers to make the building function as a school. The building thus became known as the "Cardboard College."

-Click image to enlarge-
Anastasia Building, 1942
Pictured is a view of the Anastasia Building after the addition of the coffin tower, the uppermost cap of the rounded section of the building. This rotunda was first used by the RAF cadets for classes in air navigation. A camera mounted in the ceiling directed images onto the floor. The cadets, seated a floor above, watched the simulated flights over European targets. The Drama Department took over the area in 1946 for a ring theater. To form the theater, a parachute was hung from the ceiling and seats were added around the stage. The concept of a theater in the round was transferred to the new campus when the Ring Theater was built in 1951.

-Click image to enlarge-
Antonio Ferre Building Dedication, November 19, 1958
Dedication of the Antonio Ferre Building of the Graduate School. Right to left: Dean J. Riis Owre at the podium; Vice-President C. Doren Tharp; Jose Ferre, who spoke for the donors; an unidentified man; and Charlton W. Tebeau, chairman of the committee on Graduate Study.

-Click image to enlarge-
Apartment Style Dormitory Housing Construction Begins in 1947.
In January 1947 the University received a Federal Housing Administration $5 million loan for construction of apartments for married veterans. Plans included twenty-nine buildings divided into 589 apartments of varying sizes and a student union building, all with a sewage treatment plant. When not filled with married veterans, the apartments might be put to other uses. This type of living accommodation was good for families but not ideal for most unmarried students. It made possible low room rents and housekeeping facilities for those who wanted to do their own cooking, however.

-Click image to enlarge-
Ashe Memorial Administration Building, 1950s.
Dr. Jay F. W. Pearson, the second president of the University, stated early in his administration that he would formulate a plan to bring together and provide solidity to the new school. Bringing the students and the administration together on the main campus was his goal. In 1954 the Ashe Memorial Administration Building was completed to house the growing faculty and administration of the university and ease overcrowding in the Merrick Building.

-Click image to enlarge-
Beaumont Lecture Hall
The Bill Cosford Cinema was originally known as the Beaumont Lecture Hall. In 1947, Louis D. Beaumont donated $50,000 to the University for the construction of the hall in memory of his son. The hall was used for lectures, concerts, and large classes. When the hall was renovated for movie screenings, it was renamed Beaumont Cinema. The cinema underwent a renovation in 1995 to repair the seats and improve the sound and projection equipment. Part of the funding for the renovation was given by Mary Cosford in memory of her son, Bill Cosford, the renowned movie critic for The Miami Herald.   More information

-Click image to enlarge-
Building Construction for Art Classes
The Marion Manley-designed building, once used by University Administration, has been used by the Art Department. This building and the other wooden structures on the northern most point of the Coral Gables campus are the last remaining buildings from the pioneering days.

-Click image to enlarge-
Cox Science Building
The James M. Cox, Jr. Science Building was completed in 1967. Science classes had previously been held in the Anastasia Building. When the science department moved into their new quarters the Anastasia Building was officially abandoned by the University. The science building was named in Cox's honor subsequent to his generous donation to the University.

Next Page | Previous Page